Sites in Vicksburg
Visitors Bureau, Clay St/US 80. 601-636-9421. Methodist minister Bewit Vick established a mission here in 1817 on the site of 18th-century French and Spanish forts. The mission developed into a major port and became the Confederacy's key bastion on the Mississippi River. It succumbed on July 4, 1863, after a 47-day siege by General Ulysses S. Grant.
Several historic antebellum houses open their doors for tours as well as overnight stays. They include Anchuca (1010 First East St. 601-631-6800 or 800-469-2597), Balfour House (1002 Crawford St. 601-638-7113 or 800-294-7113, and Cedar Grove (2200 oak St. 601-636-1000 or 800-862-1300).
Vicksburg National Military Park (3201 Clay St. 601-636-0583)
Vicksburg was in a strategic position for control of the Mississippi River during the Civil War. The war could not be won without the capture of Vicksburg. In the late spring of 1863 General Grant and 50,000 men began a siege of the blufftop town. Residents took shelter in caves and suffered hunger and other privations. The 1,700-acre park offers a 16-mile auto tour past monuments, markers, and re-created earthworks. A section of the park contains the restored wreckage of the Union ironclad Cairo. An adjacent national cemetery contains the graves of nearly 17,000 Union men.
Martha Vick House (1300 Grove St. 601-638-7036)
This house was built in 1830 for a daughter of Vicksburg's founder. The house has 18th- and 19th-century furnishings, Impressionist paintings, and Haviland china.
McRaven (1445 Harrison St. 601-636-1663)
This house dates from before the founding of Vicksburg and contains a wealth of local artifacts. It was built in three periods. The 1797 wing has a frontier feel; the 1836 section is decorated in federal empire style; and the 1849 addition exemplifies Greek Revival luxury.
Old Court House Museum (1008 Cherry St. 601-636-0741)
The museum contains nine rooms filled with items ranging from Ku Klux Klan and Confederate artifacts to a chair used by Grant during the siege of Vicksburg. In the upstairs courtroom Jefferson Davis attempted to regain his nearby plantation seized during the war and sold to his former slaves. He lost the case but won on appeal to the state supreme court.
Biedenharn Coca-Cola Museum (1107 Washington St.)
This is the site where Coca-Cola was first bottled in 1894.
Mississippi River Adventures (City Waterfront.)
Hydro-jet boat tours offer a full hour of sightseeing adventure.
Stained Glass Manor-Oak Hall (2430 Drummond St. 601-638-8893)
This is the last major house built by Burwell Vick, brother of Newitt Vick, founder of Vicksburg. It features 38 stained glass windows and thousands of board-feet of rich woodwork.
Shlenker House (2430 Drummond St. 601-638-8893)
Built by a prominent Jewish cotton factor and wholesale grocer in 1907, this house is designed in the Prairie style which was made popular by renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
Vicksburg Factory Outlet (4000 S. Frontage Rd. 601-636-7434)
The Vicksburg Factory Outlet is located across I-20 from the National Military Park. The 24 nationally known stores offer savings of 25 to 75 percent everyday.
Waterways Experiment Station (3909 Halls Ferry Rd. 601-634-2502)
The Waterways Experiment Station is the principal research, testing and development facility for the Army Corps of Engineers. It features scale models of many of the nation's waterways, including Niagara Falls and a water-resource demonstration model.
Yesterday's Children Antique Doll & Toy Museum and Shop (1104 Washington St. 601-638-0650)
This museum features a collection of early bisque 19th- and 20th-century French and German dolls, boys' antique toys, gifts and new dolls for sale.